1. Religion & Spirituality
Molly Hall

When You're Born with Mercury Retrograde

By August 6, 2012

About 25% of us have Mercury retrograde in our birth chart make-up. Are you one of them? Check your birth chart -- is there an Rx next to your Mercury symbol? As Mercury readies to go direct this week, what insights can be gleaned from looking at perceptual world of Mercury retrograde natives?

Jan Spiller sees a past life echo for Mercury retrograders with a challenge to speak from the depths of one's being. This is to overcome lives of having to hide their true thoughts, leading to a painful disconnection. Some of the intensity around communication comes from this split, she writes in her article, Mercury Retrograde at Birth.

There are gifts that come from the struggle to speak in such a whole-hearted way. Spiller writes, "They are learning to reconnect with the authenticity of their own unique ideas and preferences and decision making tendencies. Because of the necessity of including their emotional component when making decisions, many times these people have exceptional artistic talents."

I find her tips right on, as someone with this signature in my chart. I've felt a lifelong urgency (and with it frustration) to speak and write from a whole self kind of place. I like her advice -- and this is good for Mercury retrograde cycles too -- to take time to make decisions. It takes time to know how you really think and feel about something -- this is a rhythm that's often crowded out in our instant, go go go culture.

See more about Mercury retrograde in the Birth Chart, and my experience as an insider with this dynamic.

In the Mercury retrograde time, we pick up dropped threads, which potentially lead to a fuller sense of the picture. Sometimes external events like delays, brings unexpected psychic space to fill -- a chance to stew in our own juices, becoming more "seasoned" or authentic in the process. Frustrations can bring up emotional truths that then have a chance to be aired. There's a sense of slowing down, but with that can come more emotional nuance for our life's story.

Mercury stations direct out of its retrograde this week, -- this happens on Wednesday the 8th at 1:40 am (edt). Have you had any experiences you'd like to share?

Getty Images
Comments
August 7, 2012 at 8:46 am
(1) Nancy says:

This is what I have noticed about my self, with my natal mercury retro at 27 degrees Leo.When mercury is direct, the words come out of my mouth backwards some times, and the way I talk with passion is some times big and boistrouse, but when Mercury is retro, my words come out clearer, and my passion does not come out as big, if that makes sense.

August 7, 2012 at 9:57 am
(2) Eve says:

True. I have Mercury Rx in my chart and my greatest insights come during the Mercury retrograde phases. When it turns direct it usually seems chaotic and ‘not at home’.

August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(3) itwirl round says:

Oh Boy is this right on! All my life I wrote. 3 years ago I developed an article series that FINALLY let me express myself from that deepest place and though it seems frivolous – it has been extremely successful because of the many deeper shades: for example: http://itwirlround.com/2012/07/27/swingtime-in-the-rockies/
Nothing ever mirrored me before I created this – a living embodiment of my insides. Merc retro is a tough aspect to master, but it pulls out something unique – something no artist has created before. (Merc retro in Leo in 2nd house – Cancer Sun in 1st and Rising. Gemini Jupiter, Venus in 11th – the rest is irrelevant)

August 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm
(4) Molly says:

Thanks for your input everyone. I’m doing some research into Mercury and how it shows the kind of writer you are.

I really have struggled most of all with communication – and that ever elusive goal of writing with the fullness that this Merc rx seems to ask for.
I know growing up I was very often misunderstood. Of course, additionally, I have a square to Mars Libra – so I find that when I do actually speak with my whole self, I’m VERY intense and it does have a big impact. Though it is hot and has an element of risk to it, with that Mars square.

This also brings in something we used to call ‘women’s ways of knowing’ – back in my women’s spirituality program. To respect the process (and myself) enough to make the effort and trust in the outcome – that all the struggle is worth it. Valuing the voice and what’s struggling for expression.

August 8, 2012 at 6:42 am
(5) Catherine says:

I have Mercury Rx in Pisces in the fifth house and it always was difficult for me to tell my truth. I have started my own blog 2 years ago and everybody says I’m such a good and origial writer ;-) I started now to write a book.
I always felt very concerned with silence and speech and writing. In the fifth house and in conjonction to Venus, it gives me the talent to speak from the heart when I am at my best. I also have been writing songs for singers for the last 20 years and I am beginning to receive some royalties now. I have been taught by my karmic astrology teacher that Mercury Rx tends to be a lier but I always felt deep inside that it had to do with an intense search for the Truth!

August 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(6) Jamie says:

Thanks for another valuable article, Molly, and perfectly timed. What you’ve shared and Jan’s first 2 or 3 paragraphs seem very familiar. I have Merc at 20 degrees Capricorn in the 9th in my Placidus chart (it shifts to the 8th if I do = house), and it was Rx stationing to go direct. I’ve found that I really enjoy Mercury Retrograde periods (though this one included a bit more tech weirdness than most for me). Like others who’ve shared here, the energy of Merc Rx feels comfortable to me.

It’s been quite a journey to recover my authentic voice – which was pretty systematically silenced when I was growing up (so I ‘got’ the ‘learning to tow the party line’ bit that Jan mentioned). That journey ‘experiment’ continues.

Do you find that Merc Rx natives experience quite a bit of ‘silencing’ along their way to finally recovering that authentic voice?

I resonate with much of what you’ve shared of your own experience, and appreciate you sharing it! Thanks again.

Blessings,