1. Religion & Spirituality
Molly Hall

Mercury Brings Heart n' Soul Out of the Shadows

By December 6, 2012

"If confusion is the first step to knowledge, I must be a genius." Larry Leissner

For those (like me) in a swampy or confused state of mind, take note that we're still in the direct shadow phase of Mercury retrograde. Mercury is in psychically penetrating Scorpio, recovering the retrograde degrees, and with the clarifying sight now of forward motion. If perception is being altered, it's happening at the deepest level of the soul. This kind of metamorphosis calls for a lot of self-care and trust through the inner chaos, often called the breakdown before the breakthrough.

In her newsletter, M. Kelley Hunter writes, "Mercury has been stirring the deep cauldron of Scorpio, evoking strong, even irrational feelings, perhaps unconsciously held for a long time, that need to be resolved and released. It's a meaningful process and not one we can understand with our heads, only our hearts from the inside out."

This is a meaningful stretch, then, for healing the mind from its maddening, anxiety or fear-driven loops. The retrograde has peeled the onion, and if we stick with it, there's a chance for core-level shifts. It's tempting to check out or scramble things with noisy distractions. But the rewards are high, if you protect your psyche in this vulnerable transition, and check in with your higher guidance. You increase your tolerance for the messy in-between, the time of saying, "WTF?" but with a curiosity about your perceptual reality changing.

And coinciding with the Sagittarius New Moon, the beginning of thinking with the intelligence of the heart. The heart stretching of this time begins to find spontaneous expression, when Mercury goes into fire sign Sagittarius, on December 10th. Mercury moves on from the retrograde shadow, and into fresh turf on December 15th. So while some of us might be deep in it, there is much to look forward to!

Southern Stock/Getty Images
Comments
December 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(1) Liz says:

I Can’t thank you enough for this piece, dear Molly, and these words:
“This is a meaningful stretch, then, for healing the mind from its maddening, anxiety or fear-driven loops”. Have been experiencing a lot (survival) fears – and your words give me so so much comfort and advice on how to deal with it. Have a lovely weekend. xx

December 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm
(2) Molly says:

Thank you Liz and you’re definitely not alone. These are super intense times, for sure. You inspire me to keep looking for ways astrology can help us deal, and move with the energies, instead of against…. Much love, Molly

December 11, 2012 at 10:39 am
(3) mali says:

I have experienced some crazy things like everything is against me, I just couldn’t take them at night I would start crying because I just felt so miserable, the pain was physical and emotional, but now everything is getting better. Great article and thanks for the info Molly ♡.

December 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm
(4) Nikki says:

Molly, you are Awesome! I always enjoy and appreciate reading your emails. Thank you for the knowledge, the love, the awareness and understanding you help so many of us gain. Best of all peace and empowerment for me anyway. Thank you.

December 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(5) Kelly says:

Right on Molly!!! I’m forwarding this piece to Neva- does she ever need to hear these words! And me too- it explains everything lately :-)

December 12, 2012 at 8:50 am
(6) JD says:

Greetings, Molly! I have been studying astrology for the past 3 1/2 years and am always trying to find out new things. What I’ve never understood are planetary transits of the houses. For instance, my Mercury is in Aquarius in the 3rd House. When does it transit to the fourth, how long does it stay there, and is it the same for all planets? Thanks!

December 13, 2012 at 11:20 am
(7) Molly says:

Mali,
I have experienced dark ‘night thoughts’ lately – Mercury dipping into Scorp (now in Sag) really churned it all up. And when we’re asleep, our conscious guard is down. Bright side is, you’re becoming conscious of these deeper thoughts — ‘everything is against me’ …I know that one!!! Hang in there.

Nikki,
I know you – thanks for stopping by!

Kelly, hey friend, give my best to Neva. See you soon. xo

December 13, 2012 at 11:24 am
(8) Molly says:

Hi JD,
Great question and this can be confusing:

Your Mercury Aqua in the 3rd will never change — it’s your Natal chart and that’s a fixed blueprint for all time.

But traveling Mercury will engage with your chart — as a transit. So, right now, Mercury is at 3 degrees Sagittarius. To see which house it’s transiting for you, look for where Sagittarius is on your chart. This is referred to as transiting Mercury ‘in my ninth house’ for example.

There’s your natal planets in their signs and houses — this doesn’t change. Then there are the moving planets TODAY, and where they engage with your chart. That’s how we come up with forecasts for an individual chart. This is how you can look at influences in play for you at any moment.