1. Religion & Spirituality
Molly Hall

Neptune & Slipping Out of Old Realities

By December 9, 2012

I put out an SOS to my astrologer-friend Robert Phoenix, and he generously took time to look at my chart. Sometimes you just want that outside perspective, and I've been in the fog of Neptune. The planet of the parting of the veils is in my 12th House, hovering near my Ascendant. Something is happening to my personal atmosphere -- and it's only just begun, really.

We talked of times when there's no motivation, and much that was so gripping in life, starts to dissolve. A Neptune transit can loosen the energetic hold of what's been the preoccupation, the matrix of life -- an interest, a person, a sense of direction. Without that, we can feel unmoored. It's ultimately about spiritual clearing, but at first it's like losing your religion, -- the loss of illusions is a time of disillusionment.

So this serendipitously foggy morning here, I thought I'd revisit Neptune. And to share that a time of "I don't know" can herald an initiation, perhaps a long one, into something new.

An example is knowing it's time to move on, from a place. This happened to me when I moved back from New York to San Francisco. I had been struggling to restart my life there, and nothing felt right. Then it hit me, "I'm done here." I didn't know where I would go next, but a light had come through the fog.

Neptune is at 0 degrees Pisces, and will be in this cosmic wrap-up sign to 2026. For me, where Neptune is at the moment, is like having a flashlight, shining on one point here and there -- the big picture is not in view. This is just the start of slipping out of old realities, and experiencing that in-between. It's exciting to wonder where it'll take me. But also takes faith, because as Robert pointed out, it feels somehow beyond my control. Where is Neptune for you (which house?)

Must Reads from Marguerite Manning:
Comments
December 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm
(1) Renee says:

My husband has his natal moon at 0 degrees Pisces in his 10th house.
It has been a long stretch – and doesn’t look like it’s going to let up any time soon. Thank G-d I have a job.

December 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm
(2) Molly says:

Thank you Renee, your comment leaves an opening to read between the lines – well said.
As I wrote this post, I thought of how this sense of ‘losing the plot’ makes it hard to keep up with the usual routine. So much can happen during that in-between, soul searching, but also depression, a sense that life is meaningless, thoughts of failure, feeling lost and wanting to check out. And wondering on the other hand, how many are struggling to keep it together, at work, when it feels like an old reality.

December 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(3) Lili says:

Hi Molly, to answer your question, my natal Neptune is in the 12th, the transiting Neptune is in the last segment of the 4th. I am looking forward to Neptune entering my 5th, expecting it would give boost to creativity (I do artwork), and hopefully romance. Funny, I keep on viewing Neptune as a friend (it’s also my Guide planet), a companion that helps my imaginaton and makes my life more magical, not realizing that it may put the veil of illusion over my eyes along the way. But it is difficult for me to recognize illusions, so I keep on going as if everything is just fine. Only when I read all the hard staff about Neptune do I remind myself that what I see may not be what I think. Thanks!

December 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(4) Molly says:

Hi Lili, I relate with Neptune as my chart ruler. And the experience of Neptune in the 12th, and emerging into the 1st, then back again, is that some of those illusions I never realized are surfacing into awareness. And the end result is, it’s messing with my self-image, lol. Maybe something similar will happen for you, with self-expression, bringing things to light in creative ways. Thanks for commenting!

December 10, 2012 at 1:31 am
(5) Lise says:

Molly we both share Pisces Asc & I’ve been feeling out of it much more intensely in the last month or so then again it’s also sq my moon it Gemini & Pluto in Virgo. Intensely relaxed, chilled out, foggy, more off planet than usual & that Neptune natally is conch my sun so it seems to have a stronger impact oy vey!!

December 10, 2012 at 2:32 am
(6) Red Skywalker says:

Hi Molly,

My natal Neptune is in the 7th house, Libra and I have the ascendant in Pisces at 2459’10…. more fog to come???

December 11, 2012 at 10:08 am
(7) Uberblonde says:

Molly, I too have Neptune conjunct my Libra ascendant, and I have to say, I’ve always felt invisible — as if no one would ever remember me. But I also seem to have the ability to slip in and out of different personae, which can be useful.

Like Lili, I”m hoping for a boost to my creative project and/or and my love life with this 5th house transit.

December 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm
(8) Sandra Beecher says:

Hi,
My Midheaven is 0.03 Pisces and my Saturn is 04.20 Pisces and my Chiron is 16 Pisces all in the 10th H. Whilst I do not have conventional paid employment I am an artist who is sensing a new wave of ideas, I am a self taught Astrologer and as such am trying to look on all the positives Neptune may bring, a planet who has always been influential upon me as in my natal chart it is opposite my Ac in my 6th H Scorpio. Over the last 18 months I have started doing Tarot readings but take a for fun approach and am seriously into Seichim energy healing, crystal healing and Angelic healing and am currently trying to attract clients. Appart from a life long love of learning, passion for scholarship and art I believe Neptune has been the driver of my transition from having an interest in Astrology to embracing it as a vocation along with the Energy Healing. Tarot is a likely area of interest for me but I feel driven towards it by the interest of others, the people that I attracted and who asked for readings. On the down side I am often exhausted, more likely to feel confused and uncertain about where I am going, where I should live and how I should fill my days. But having said that, all I need do is go with the flow as amazing, interesting, esoteric, whimsical, metaphysical delights and intensified spirituality are filling my life with wonder, beauty and a fantastic direction in which to grow.

December 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(9) Molly says:

Lise, I have some of those same factors in play – gemini moon, pluto virgo — ‘off planet’ is a good way to describe it, lol.

Red Skywalker, fog always, with Pisces ascendant, but that makes us wise, loving, too, eh?

Uberblonde (great handle), I did experience being invisible — yes — thanks for that insight. I should clarify this is transiting Neptune for me, in the twelfth, near the Ascendant, but my chart ruler is Neptune. Thanks for that, because it fits too, with my particular psychic constellation. that sure was painful growing up!

Sandra, how absolutely right on, I relate to that paradox of having Neptune prominent….the same traits that make us not of this world, are how we never lose touch with the magic. You might try Kasamba or Keen – both services that will get you going as an astrologer, build a clientele. That is, if you’re planning to do online readings…..

December 13, 2012 at 9:44 am
(10) Mary says:

Hi Molly

I loved your article on Neptune.
Everything you wrote resonated to my core.
Mary- 14th Oct 1968 Durban South Africa 21H45

December 13, 2012 at 10:48 am
(11) Molly says:

Thank you Mary – that’s my ‘given name’ by the way.
We are close in age, that sixties generation when Uranus and Pluto were conjunct (separating). Great to hear from you.

December 14, 2012 at 9:36 am
(12) Sylvia says:

Hi Molly!
Great article about Neptune. Loved it !!!
My natal Neptune conjunct natal Mars and Jupiter in Sagittarius(8th house ). Transiting Neptune square all these planets. So you can imagine how things get foggy and messy sometimes. Fortunately transiting Saturn square natal Sun (Aquarius, 10th house ) and transiting Pluto conjunct natal Mercury (9th house ) keep me busy. I used to fear Pluto and Saturn. But thanks to transiting Neptune, Pluto and Saturn became friends now !