"Today's Mighty Oak is Just Yesterday's Nut That Held Its Ground." I love this quote by Anonymous and it comes to mind looking at January's stellar forecast. It's a month to look at choices, as an antidote to stagnation, or being stuck between a rock and a hard place. The encouraging buzz of seeing many choices and potentials is enlivening. And with Mercury as adviser -- now in earth-steady Capricorn -- we can tune into organic strategies for taking any one of those wild ideas and grounding it.
There's a tendency toward mania in our culture, and a mantra of onward and upward! But I love this time for its deep quiet for serious contemplation. What's magical about this season and Capricorn (Sun) is being able to match up deepest aspirations with the practical steps. The quiet confidence of Capricorn guides us to finding traction, in a way that's realistic. We get hints about what traits will need to be strengthened to achieve our goals. Discipline, perseverance, commitment -- these are closer than at any other time of the year. Good news for those of us that struggle to break down a goal into steps.
As Per Henrick Gullfoss writes in The Complete Book of Spiritual Astrology, "If the Capricorn energy only strives upward, it becomes hollow and will eventually collapse into itself." He later adds, "Capricorn energy needs to move in both directions at the same time. As branches stretch toward the sky, roots go deeper into the ground."Some Tips to Firm Your New Year's Resolve
- Cultivate habits that are settling, especially as the day winds down -- reading, unplugging, taking a soak, meditative "being."
- Begin collecting images for a vision board/collage. The sifting and arranging process over time adds meaning, and then you're ready to glue it down by the Capricorn New Moon on January 11th.
- Consider small resolutions, or ones that are about NOT doing something. One of mine is to stop clicking on a tabloid site that is strangely entrancing, and I know not good for me!
- Starting or recommitting to realistic practices, like a gentle stretching session, that you can build on.
- Resolve to love yourself and practice high standards of self-care.
- Nurture your ability to let go -- the (diminishing) Moon is about release. Ask for spirit's guidance in letting go of what blocks you or clouds your vision.