1. Religion & Spirituality
Molly Hall

Quotes About Astrology - The Good, the Bad and the Funny

By January 17, 2013

Sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke (b. Dec 16th) had the famous one-liner, "I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical." And many know the quote from banker JP Morgan, "Millionaires don't use Astrology, billionaires do."

This quote about astrology from writer Isaac Bashevis Singer gave me pause: "In many ways, astrology, numerology and palmistry are corruptions of the occult because they have attempted to make a practice out of something that is essentially imaginative." His complaint is that the magic of the imagination is turned into "pragmatic, utilitarian systems -- dogmas and creeds which are the opposite of mysticism and the occult."

I think that in an effort to be taken seriously, the more scholarly astrology shows signs of what he's talking about. But the astrology I'm drawn to is one that doesn't check the imagination at the door, but is a fusion of many intelligences.

See more quotes about astrology from artists, scientists, writers and astrologers.

Comments
January 18, 2013 at 10:29 am
(1) Melanie says:

Yes, for me too astrology is a weird blend of “not believing in it”, & also — finding it a fascinating & compelling language for discussing ourselves & our world. It has given me a really valuable & strong perception of cycles of time… It’s helped me visualize these cycles, & how there is a season & rhythm for everything. Some are long term cycles, some shorter term cycles. It has helped me stop expecting life to be so consistent or people to be only one way.

It still nags at me a little sometimes though, that we would try to define ourselves by when we were born. I mean, the seasonal thing makes sense to me….. as in winter babies, summer babies, etc.

But… especially when trying to do synastry… say comparing my capricorn moon to his sagittarius moon, or seizing on any other detail… astrology can help you visualize differences, but it can also just drive you crazy. I mean “rationally” deciding what kind of chance we have together by some kind of body that was moving so fast in the sky overhead anyhow…. I don’t know.

I was giving this last involvement of mine all this credit for being “spontaneous”, (ie: never wanting to make advance plans) because of his Sag planets… but upon deeper recent analysis, those same attributes might be better attributed, with compassion & respect, to him having a “personality disorder”, ie: deep emotional wounding from the past resulting in narcissistic traits, never wanting to be pinned down, etc, etc.

I’m trying to say that lately astrology has felt a little shallow to me again, in describing people. It can lead to you making excuses for behavior that, really… maybe should be worked on, instead of accepted.

January 18, 2013 at 11:30 am
(2) Molly Hall says:

Great post Melanie! I have a lot of thoughts on this! First, let me share this excerpt from a poem called the Invitation from Oriah Mountain Dreamer. For the full poem see the left side of her site.

It doesn’t interest me
what planets are
squaring your moon…
I want to know
if you have touched
the centre of your own sorrow
if you have been opened
by life’s betrayals
or have become shrivelled and closed
from fear of further pain.

I LOVE this, partly because Pluto squares my Moon and I’ve heard myself use it to explain this or that experience or trait. Astrology has helped me get perspective on it, but at some point, you have to let that go or it becomes a ‘story.’

January 18, 2013 at 11:38 am
(3) Molly Hall says:

My favorite new astrology quote is this one:
Markku Silivola, Finnish psychiatrist – he wrote a book on — Understanding Dreams Without Dream Interpretation
“Astrology can clear up or mix up a person as much as any other psychological, philosophical or religious mirror, a looking glass in the endless mirror hall of life.”
I sometimes get bored with the analysis of astrology — and find it hard to hang out on forums and dissect myself and others.
I see it as an impressionistic art – to step back and let go of the forms, and see with other eyes too.

January 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm
(4) Melanie says:

I think maybe the best way I’ve come up to look at astrology so far is as kind of a Rorschach ink blot…. Basically, whatever way you see yourself in it significantly, go with that. It doesn’t have to be literally true to have value.

This perspective seems to be working best for me so far, though I’ve already had one astrologer friend looking at me incredulously for my callousness, for not being a ‘true believer’…. haha. :)

Nice & lovely sharing with you here, as always — water sisters unite! xoxo! :)

January 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(5) kathy says:

Please keep the astrology/horoscope section coming.
Thoroughly enjoyed everything on here.
Thank you for doing this.

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 am
(6) Molly says:

All generalizations are false, including this one. ~ Mark Twain

So often people use evidence of going against ‘type’ to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I like to observe what’s resonating true, but then be curious about how it’s playing out. The blueprint of a person — their astrological energies — can have infinite expressions depending on their choices, surroundings, relationships. And on top of that, it’s a constantly evolving moving picture – it resists being fixed, which is confounding to more logically-oriented people.

January 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm
(7) bing says:

Howdy! This post couldn’t be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!

He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Here is my blog <a href=”http://www.bing.com”>bing</a>