The Dates for Cancer change every year, so check an ephemeris if you're on the cusp. Sun into Cancer begins (in the North) with Summer Solstice, when day and night are equal length.
Cancer's symbol is the Crab. Cancer begins family time, and beginning of longer days for making memories. It's the Zodiac sign of the Mother, originating waters, cozy closeness, emotional bonding (or bondage!) Cancer's depth of feeling is palpable, and its impulse is toward emotionally familiar people and places.
- Element is Water (imaginative, active dreamer).
- Quality is Cardinal (impactful, leader).
- Cancer is Feminine (receptive, impressionable).
- Polarity is Capricorn.
- Ruler is the Moon
- Natural House is Fourth.
- Phrase is "I feel."
- Body Association: Womanly parts (breasts, ovaries, womb, nipples), stomach (digestion, esophagus), bodily fluids.
- Cancer initiates the Summer season.
- Colors are blues, moonlight hues (pearl, silvery, soft gray, cream, milky white), aquamarine.
- Rules silver.
- Birthstone ruby, moonstone or pearl.
- Gemstones white varieties like opal, mother of pearl, white topaz, snow quartz.
Flowers are moon flowers, night-blooming cereus, cotton, lilies and white roses, daisies, wallflowers and poppies. Flowers for the Moon garden, like jasmine, stephanotis and tuberose, and the peony. Also, white gardenia, camelia, madonna lily, water lily, ocean pearl, white aster, arctic queen clematis.
Animals bears, kangaroos, opossum. Home-carrying types like turtles and snails. Water creatures like the playful otter, shellfish, crabs, lobsters.Cancer is the homebody of the Zodiac, but they're ambitious too. They move indirectly, sensing the undercurrents, and developing strong ties of loyalty among friends and co-workers.
At the extreme edges, Cancer is neurotic, self-absorbed, manipulative, clingy and bogged down in emotional swamps.
Cancer is gifted with a rare sense of timing, which helps in business and love. Some come off as aloof, but are registering everything. A wounded Cancer can be cruel and rejecting -- becoming what they fear the most. Many have crazy close ties with 'Mother' which translates to a lifelong challenge to become emotionally self-sustaining. Cancer's have big hearts and many are artists, putting great emotional force in whatever they do.