The Zodiac signs of the water element are Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces. But all of us have a relationship via intuition, emotion, the heart, intimacy, nurturance, compassion and so on. Too much water and we're waterlogged unable to see with any detachment and heavy with emo baggage. Too little water and we're dry, brittle, deserty, harsh with ourselves and others, despairing of finding consolation.
We need a balance of all the elements to live with a feeling of wholeness. Water purifies and cleanses -- it's used to baptize, sanctify and bless. We feel its power when tears well up unexpectedly, and we experience the great release. That's why it's called a "good cry" -- we are feeling the full depths of the heart, and letting go. Opening to the water element means tuning in to ALL your emotions and discovering ways to honor them. This is how you come out of stagnation and lethargy. Water balance is also about seeking out the succulent, the refreshing -- it's finding our own pathways to bliss.
The first season of water is the first of Summer (Cancer), when there's lots of splashy fun going on. We sit poolside or by the ocean, go to family reunions or be with close friends. Next comes the dying time of fall, in Oct/November (Scorpio, a psychically rich time when the veil is thin and dreams seem so real. The wet leaves are decomposing, even as they provide shelter against the cold, for the new growth to come. Finally we have the end of the astrological year (Pisces), the dreamy pre-Spring lull before the launch of Aries rebirth. Nature is beginning to come alive, and enchantment is in the air.
Ways to Bring Water Balance into Your Life:
- Eat Juicy Fruits and Vegetables. Some are watermelon, honeydew melon, cucumber, tomatoes, grapes, strawberries, peaches, plums, pineapple, coconut....I'm sure you can add to this list!
- Start an Aquarium in your home. The movements of the fish can be soothing to watch.
- Take the time to soak. Long baths are made special with herbs like relaxing lavender or chamomile.
- Do Hot Yoga! Ok, this one combines fire (heat) and water (sweat) for a steamy workout. You really feel wrung out afterwards!
- Waterfalls and waterwalls. Consider a small design feature that brings the sound of running water into your home.
- A water garden or koi pond. Perfect spot to daydream.
- Plan a kayak or canoe trip, or boat excursion.
- Start swimming or doing water aerobics for exercise. It's easy on the joints and you don't sweat.
- Sit in the sauna - make sure it's the wet one! Steamrooms are heavenly, too.
- Have your partner wash your hair. I do this for my husband and he loves it! Add sliced cukes on the eyes for an added touch.
- Keep an aromatherapy Mister on hand. I like Aura Cacia brand the best.
- Add cool tones of blue and green to your palette. Accents like a scarf or new throw pillow does the trick
And then there's always:
- Making sure you get plenty of unscheduled time for relaxing.
- Listening to your emotional needs, and learning to say "No" when you need to.
- Knowing when you've had enough togetherness, and need some solitude.
- Doing what it takes to self-soothe, comfort and get to the heart of your emotions....so you can live in harmony with them.