1. Religion & Spirituality
Molly Hall

Venus into Capricorn to Imbolc

By January 8, 2013

There's a movie moment that makes me swoon. It's a culminating scene in Pride and Prejudice, with Michael MacFayden as Mr. Darcy walking across the meadow toward his beloved. He's strong in his haunches, walking in a sensual and determined way toward his object of affection.

This scene came to mind reading April Elliott Kent's take on Capricorn in Love, in her must-have book Essential Guide to Practical Astrology. On the literary lover, she writes, "Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Darcy is an archetypal Capricorn -- undemonstrative, occasionally cruel, and preoccupied with social status. Yet ultimately he is able to appreciate the proud and moral Elizabeth Bennett, realizing her strong ethics ad values are far more admirable than mere accident of noble birth."

April notes the strong sexual appetites of Capricorn, adding that "it's sometimes represented by the satyr, a bestial and debauched centaur." This hedonistic bent reminds me of a Capricorn (Sun) friend, who joked that if her boyfriend went away, "she'd be with a cabana boy inside a week." It was only in jest, since with Capricorn there's the loyalty and desire for stability, not wanting to threaten a good thing. But it was a glimpse of the bawdy humor of the Seagoat.

Venus is in Capricorn starting today to around Imbolc (February 1st/2nd). Venus is love and money, friendships and good times. Venus brings us to our senses -- the earthly pleasures are where we come together. If your Venus (or other prominent planet) is in Capricorn, receive that boost to well-being and sense of attractiveness. Other earth signs Taurus and Virgo also get a lift.

Venus joins a constellation of planets in Capricorn, in time for the New Moon. If you're looking at Capricorn New Moon in the Houses -- for a forecast of possibilities -- picture Venus there too. The love planet enriches the experiences of that house, for renewal, and makes it satisfying to dig for authentic, solid ground.

More Impressions: commitment in love; the satisfaction of being responsible to those you love; making strong financial decisions; the joy of being a dependable friend; physical intimacy deepens; forgoing short term gratification for deeper desires; well-being from living your values.

Nymph and Satyr. Detail of Bacchanalia from Giulio Romano (1493-1546) in the Hall of Amor and Psyche, Palazzo del Te, mural. Palazzo del Te, Mantova, Italy. (Photo by Imagno/Getty Images).
Comments
January 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(1) Joyce says:

Reading your article…Capricorn sun/asc seem more livable…feeling maybe I can abide with myself …Does Venus usually bring more value to whatever it touches?

January 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(2) Molly says:

Hi Joyce,
Venus does tend to enhance the value — at allure — of what it touches. Also, Venus crossing your ascendant, and if your Sun is there in the first, it can make those Cap qualities look attractive. If you’re feeling good about yourself, you radiate that outwards. I could see it having a softening/relaxing effect on the heavy burden that many Capricorns live with.

January 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm
(3) millie says:

hi molly, really enjoying your new moon forecasts through the houses. question, if you do not have a planet (capricorn) in any houses, any suggestions on where to ascertain influences of this new moon?

thanks so much, millie

January 9, 2013 at 9:11 am
(4) Molly says:

Hi Millie,
You can still see ponder its influence in the house where the sign Capricorn falls, even with no planets there.
BUT look at what hits 22 Capricorn also – a point of activation. This could be planets/points at 22 cardinal (aries-cancer-libra-cap). Look at 22 in earth signs (virgo-taurus) for ease there with a trine. Or look at sextiles, like with pisces around 22.

What I like to do at the New Moon is consider FIRST what’s up for me now.
And see if there’s an engagement at the New Moon that can be a focus of meditation — to invite those energies for whatever is ON in my life.

That way you’re using astrology as a tool for what’s up now, rather than fitting someone else’s impressions (predictions) onto your life — when it doesn’t fit.

January 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm
(5) Melanie says:

One more clarifying question, along the lines of the above: when determining the house in which, say, capricorn falls in your chart – do you go by your sun or rising sign? I have pisces sun in 8th house, planets in capricorn in 6th…. but by my cancer rising sign, on astro.com, i have capricorn in the 7th house, on the descendent.

Just looking for a just a quick answer here… 6th or 7th? This should help me understand future ‘by the houses’ articles as well. Have been wondering how to read these for a while.

Thank you! :)

January 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(6) Molly says:

Great question – by what you’ve said here, the answer is BOTH 6th and 7th. A sign can cross two houses (in the commonly used Placidus chart system, so you have planets in one and another on the next house cusp.

For example, my Gemini Moon is in the 3rd house and Gemini is on the cusp of the 4th house and Gemini degrees extend into that house.
For this New Moon, it’s at 21 (46 min), so look at the 21/22 degree of Capricorn, which might very well be in your 7th.

To sum up, if your houses contain the degrees of two signs, you’ll look at the degree to see which of the two it falls in for that New or Full Moon.

The question is then, where is 22 Capricorn in your chart?

January 10, 2013 at 12:13 am
(7) Melanie says:

I guess I need to look at the actual chart more often… Speaking as a beginner, it’s interesting to me that my ascendant is at 28 degrees cancer, but *most* of the first house is occupied by leo degrees.

22 degrees cap is in the 6th house, btw… most of the 7th is aquarius degrees. In case you were wondering!

Finally, it would be great if you would do something about the different house systems someday. I’ve become aware that’s there’s Koch, now Placidus… would be great to hear your perspective about what the crucial differences are.

January 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm
(8) Molly says:

Thanks for the suggestion to write on the houses. I’m intending to cover a lot of the foundational material — and if I don’t get to it, will add links.