The Dates for Scorpio change every year, so check an ephemeris if you're on the cusp.
Scorpio's symbol is the Scorpion, hinting at its sting, and reputation as dangerous. Scorpio knows that sometimes the poison is the cure. Scorpios are tenacious, and thrive with plenty of channels for their intensity.
- Element is Water (psychic, enveloping).
- Quality is Fixed (fulfilling, bringing to fruition).
- Scorpio is Feminine (mesmerizing, magnetic)
- Polarity is Taurus.
- Ruler is Pluto and co-ruler is Mars.
- Natural House is Eighth.
- Phrase is "I desire."
- Body Association: Sex organs, bladder, rectum.
- Season is Samhain and composting (piles of leaves) of autumn, descent into dark.
- Colors are rich browns and reds (the colors of blood), maroon, burgundy, black, blue-green, algae-green.
- Rules plutonium, steel, tungsten.
- Birthstone is topaz, with other stones beryl, apache tear, aquamarine, coral, and obsidian.
- Other Gemstones are boji stone, red coral kunzite, labradorite, lava, malachite, nebula, moldavite, mahogany obsidian, desert rose, black pearl, sepentine, snakestone, staurolite, green turquoise and unakite.
Flowers traditionally associated with passing into the next life. Chrysanthemum, calla lily, tuberose, purple heather. Exotics like black poppy, torch ginger, deadly nightshade, belladonna or other pretty poisons.
Animals are those that go through a metamorphosis. Caterpillar to butterfly, snakes, tadpoles to frogs, insects that leave old shell behind. Birds of prey, especially vultures. Poisonous spiders and insects, like the black wido, brown recluse. Slithering reptiles (alligators, geckos), the scorpion, and the mythic dragon.
Scorpio has a compelling presence that others sense. A big life theme is power, and knowing who to trust and when. Scorpio wants to experience the depths of love, and with intensity of feeling, comes dangerous currents like possessiveness, revenge, obsession. Through merging with life's work, or in love, Scorpio goes to the extremes, and is transformed.
At those extreme edges, Scorpio is wary, secretive, and calculating.
Scorpio shines as big-hearted loyal, lover or friend who will walk with you through the darkest hour. Scorpio bores of small talk, preferring to go deep into the psychic undercurrents. Many are drawn to the taboo, or most difficult roles as healer transforming what's hidden or unconsciously repressed.